Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundTrack
Indexbit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 01:34:49
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Indexbitagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (74894)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- BBC Journalist’s Wife and 2 Daughters Shot Dead in Crossbow Attack
- MS-13 leader pleads guilty in case involving 8 murders, including deaths of 2 girls on Long Island
- What cognitive tests can show — and what they can’t
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Delta partners with startup Riyadh Air as it plans to offer flights to Saudi Arabia
- 'It's absolutely nothing': Cowboys QB Dak Prescott dismisses concerns about ankle
- Powell stresses message that US job market is cooling, a possible signal of coming rate cut
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- It is way too hot. 160 million under alert as heat breaks records and a bridge
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Texas man died while hiking Grand Canyon, at least fourth at National Park in 2024
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman joins team on road amid recent struggles
- Why Below Deck Guest Trishelle Cannatella Is Not Ashamed of Her Nude Playboy Pics
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Ex-Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist sued for wrongful death in alleged fatal collision
- Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Washington Mystics Wednesday
- EPA says more fish data needed to assess $1.7B Hudson River cleanup
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
One year after hazing scandal, Northwestern and Pat Fitzgerald still dealing with fallout
Fort Campbell soldier found dead in home was stabbed nearly 70 times, autopsy shows
Regal Cinemas offer $1 tickets to select kids' movies this summer: See more movie deals
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
California man charged in July Fourth stabbing that killed 2, injured 3
Utah CEO and teenage daughter killed after bulldozer falls on their truck
House GOP wants proof of citizenship to vote, boosting an election-year talking point