Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Jury foreperson in New Hampshire youth center abuse trial ‘devastated’ that award could be slashed -FundTrack
Surpassing:Jury foreperson in New Hampshire youth center abuse trial ‘devastated’ that award could be slashed
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:42:03
CONCORD,Surpassing N.H. (AP) — Attorneys for a New Hampshire man who prevailed in a landmark lawsuit over abuse at a state-run youth detention center are asking for a hearing after the jury foreperson expressed dismay that the $38 million award could be slashed to $475,000.
Jurors on Friday awarded $18 million in compensatory damages and $20 million in enhanced damages to David Meehan, who alleged that the state’s negligence allowed him to be repeatedly raped, beaten and held in solitary confinement as a teenager at the Youth Development Center in Manchester. But the attorney general’s office said the award would be reduced under a state law that allows claimants against the state to recover a maximum of $475,000 per incident.
“I’m so sorry. I’m absolutely devastated,” the jury foreperson wrote to attorney Rus Rilee on Friday evening, according to the hearing request filed Saturday.
Jurors were not told of the cap, but they were asked how many incidents it found Meehan had proven. They wrote “one,” but the completed form does not indicate whether they found a single instance of abuse or grouped all of Meehan’s allegations together.
“We had no idea,” the jury foreperson wrote. “Had we known that the settlement amount was to be on a per incident basis, I assure you, our outcome would have reflected it. I pray that Mr. Meehan realizes this and is made as whole as he can possibly be within a proper amount of time.”
After consulting with outside counsel with expertise in post-trial matters, Rilee and attorney David Vicinanzo requested that a hearing be held Monday. According to their request, Rilee did not see the email from the juror until Saturday and did not reply.
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested and more than 1,100 other former residents of the Youth Development Center in Manchester have filed lawsuits alleging physical, sexual and emotional abuse spanning six decades.
Meehan’s lawsuit was the first to be filed and the first to go to trial. After four weeks of testimony, jurors returned a verdict in under three hours.
Over the course of the trial, Meehan’s attorneys accused the state of encouraging a culture of abuse marked by pervasive brutality, corruption and a code of silence. They called more than a dozen witnesses to the stand, including former staffers who said they faced resistance and even threats when they raised or investigated concerns, a former resident who described being gang-raped in a stairwell, and a teacher who said she spotted suspicious bruises on Meehan and half a dozen other boys.
The state argued it was not liable for the conduct of rogue employees and that Meehan waited too long to sue. Its witnesses included Meehan’s father, who answered “yes” when asked whether his son had “a reputation for untruthfulness.” Others who testified included a longtime youth center principal who said she saw no signs of abuse over four decades and a psychiatrist who diagnosed Meehan with bipolar disorder, not the post-traumatic stress disorder claimed by his side.
In cross-examining Meehan, attorneys for the state portrayed him as a violent child who continued to cause trouble at the youth center — and a delusional adult who is exaggerates or lies to get money. The approach highlighted an unusual dynamic in which the attorney general’s office is both defending the state against the civil lawsuits and prosecuting suspected perpetrators in the criminal cases.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- 'The Masked Singer' Season 10: Premiere date, judges, how to watch new season episodes
- South Korean opposition leader appears in court for hearing on arrest warrant for alleged corruption
- RYDER CUP ’23: A glossary of golf terms in Italian for the event outside Rome
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 3: Bewilderment abounds in Cowboys' loss, Chargers' win
- Manslaughter charges thrown out in Michigan prisoner’s death
- 43-year-old Georgia man who spent over half his life in prison cried like a baby after murder charges dropped
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Inside Consumer Reports
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- 9/11-related illnesses have now killed same number of FDNY firefighters as day of attacks: An ongoing tragedy
- Deal to end writers' strike means some shows could return to air within days
- If you struggle with seasonal allergies, doctors recommend you try this
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Powerball jackpot swells to $835 million ahead of Wednesday's drawing
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Spotted Together for First Time After Kansas City Chiefs Game
- US military captures key Islamic State militant during helicopter raid in Syria
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
At least 1 killed, 18 missing in Guatemala landslide
5 Bulgarians charged with spying for Russia appear by video in UK court
Court appointee proposes Alabama congressional districts to provide representation to Black voters
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Below Deck Med Is Rocked By a Shocking, Unexpected Departure on Season 8 Premiere
In letter, Mel Tucker claims Michigan State University had no basis for firing him
WGA Reached A Tentative Deal With Studios. But The Strike Isn't Over Yet