Current:Home > MyDefendant in Titan submersible wrongful death lawsuit files to move case to federal court -FundTrack
Defendant in Titan submersible wrongful death lawsuit files to move case to federal court
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:27:00
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — One of the defendants in a wrongful death lawsuit stemming from the implosion of an undersea submersible headed to the wreck of the Titanic is seeking to move the case from state to federal court.
Janicki Industries filed a petition on Aug. 12 to remove the case to U.S. District Court, according to records accessed Monday that were filed with the King County Superior Court Clerk’s Office in Washington state. The plaintiffs in the case have until the middle of next month to respond to the request.
The family of French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet, who died in the Titan submersible implosion in June 2023, filed the lawsuit against several companies in a Washington state court earlier this month. The lawsuit seeks more than $50 million and states the crew of the Titan experienced “terror and mental anguish” before the disaster, and it accuses sub operator OceanGate of gross negligence.
The lawsuit names Janicki Industries as a defendant for its role in the design, engineering and manufacturing of the submersible. The sub’s unconventional design, and that its creators did not submit to independent checks, emerged as areas of concern in the aftermath of the implosion, which killed all five people on board and captured attention around the world.
Representatives for Janicki Industries did not respond to numerous requests for comment. A representative for OceanGate, which suspended operations after the implosion and has not commented publicly on the lawsuit, said they also had no comment about the request to move the case. Other defendants named in the lawsuit did not respond to requests for comment.
The plaintiffs are not commenting on the request to move the case, said Matt Shaffer, an attorney for the Nargeolet family. The request doesn’t change the goal of the lawsuit, he said.
“The hope is that the families obtain more specific knowledge as to what happened, who was at fault,” Shaffer said. “And certainly they are seeking justice.”
Nargeolet was a veteran undersea explorer who had been to the Titanic site many times before the Titan implosion. The implosion also killed OceanGate CEO and cofounder Stockton Rush, who was operating the Titan, as well as British adventurer Hamish Harding and two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood.
The Titan’s final dive came on June 18, 2023, and it lost contact with its support vessel about two hours later. The wreckage of the vessel was later found on the ocean floor less than 1,000 feet (305 meters) off the bow of the Titanic in the North Atlantic. The implosion is the subject of a Coast Guard investigation that is still ongoing nearly 15 months later.
The Nargeolet lawsuit states that “the Titan’s crew would have realized exactly what was happening” at the time of the submersible’s failure. It states that “they would have continued to descend, in full knowledge of the vessel’s irreversible failures, experiencing terror and mental anguish prior to the Titan ultimately imploding.”
A Coast Guard public hearing about the submersible implosion is slated to begin next month. Coast Guard officials have said the hearing will focus on subjects such as regulatory compliance and mechanical and structural systems relating to the submersible.
The Titan had not been registered with the U.S. or international agencies that regulate safety. It also wasn’t classified by a maritime industry group that sets standards for features such as hull construction.
Attorneys for Nargeolet have said the explorer would not have participated in the Titan expedition if OceanGate had been more transparent. Their lawsuit describes the explorer’s death as “tragic, but eminently preventable.”
veryGood! (24788)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Robert De Niro calls Donald Trump a 'clown' outside hush money trial courthouse
- 22 are dead across the US after weekend tornadoes. More storms may be in store
- Hootie & the Blowfish Singer Darius Rucker Breaks Silence on Drug-Related Arrest
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Retailers roll out summer deals for inflation-weary consumers. Here's where.
- Jurors hear about Karen Read’s blood alcohol level as murder trial enters fifth week
- Ángel Hernández’s retirement gives MLB one less pariah. That's not exactly a good thing.
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Body found after person went missing trying to swim from Virginia to Maryland, officials say
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Spirit Airlines passengers told to put on life vests after possible mechanical issue on Florida-bound flight: Nerve racking
- Who is getting part of Melinda French Gates’ $1 billion initiative to support women and girls
- OpenAI forms safety committee as it starts training latest artificial intelligence model
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Tesla shareholders urged to reject Elon Musk's $56 billion pay package
- Royal Family Quietly Removes Prince Harry’s 2016 Statement Confirming Meghan Markle Romance From Website
- Wu-Tang Clan’s unreleased ‘Once Upon a Time in Shaolin’ is headed to an Australia museum
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
New court challenge filed in Pennsylvania to prevent some mail-in ballots from getting thrown out
See Gigi Hadid Support Bradley Cooper at BottleRock 2024
Chicago police fatally shoot stabbing suspect and wound the person he was trying to stab
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Jurors could soon decide the fate of Idaho man charged in triple-murder case
North Korea says attempt to put another spy satellite into orbit fails, ends in mid-air explosion
Jerry Seinfeld reflects on criticism from pro-Palestinian protesters: 'It's so dumb'