Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -FundTrack
Charles H. Sloan-Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 16:40:24
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party,Charles H. Sloan which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (75)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- From electric vehicles to deciding what to cook for dinner, John Podesta faces climate challenges
- DNC plans to nominate Biden and Harris virtually before convention
- Is Diddy getting charged? Former associates detail alleged history of abuse in new report
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Mummy's arm came off when museum mishandled body, Mexican government says
- Less than 2% of philanthropic giving goes to women and girls. Can Melinda French Gates change that?
- Chicago man who served 12 years for murder wants life back. Key witness in case was blind.
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Seattle police chief dismissed from top job amid discrimination, harassment lawsuits
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Oilers roar back, score 5 unanswered goals to tie conference finals with Stars 2-2
- Jon Bon Jovi says Millie Bobby Brown 'looked gorgeous' during wedding to son Jake Bongiovi
- F-35 fighter jet worth $135M crashes near Albuquerque International Sunport, pilot injured
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Planned Parenthood asks judge to expand health exception to Indiana abortion ban
- California beach reopens after closing when shark bumped surfer off surfboard: Reports
- Ohio man gets probation after pleading guilty to threatening North Caroilna legislator
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Michigan willing to spend millions to restore Flint properties ripped up by pipe replacement
State trial underway for man sentenced to 30 years in attack against Nancy Pelosi’s husband
Why Teen Mom's Mackenzie McKee Says Fiancé Khesanio Hall Is 100 Percent My Person
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
New Jersey police union calls for ‘real consequences’ for drunk, rowdy teens after boardwalk unrest
More than 4 million chickens to be killed in Iowa after officials detect bird flu on farm
These US companies are best at cutting their emissions to fight climate change