Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked -FundTrack
Rekubit Exchange:South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 20:53:31
SEOUL,Rekubit Exchange South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s defense minister on Friday vowed massive retaliatory missile strikes on “the heart and head” of North Korea in the event of provocation, as the rivals escalate their rhetoric over their respective spy satellite launches in recent days.
The South Korean warning — unusually fiery rhetoric by Seoul directed at Pyongyang — came as the top security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan gathered in Seoul for talks to discuss North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats and other issues.
During a visit to the army’s missile strategic command, South Korean Defense Minister Shin Wonsik ordered command officers to maintain a readiness to fire precision-guided and powerful missiles at any time, according to his ministry.
Shin said the main role of the command is “lethally striking the heart and head of the enemy, though the types of its provocations can vary,” a ministry statement said.
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space on Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans. South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, according to Seoul officials. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
Last week, when South Korea also launched its first military spy satellite from California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base, North Korea slammed the U.S. for alleged double standards and warned of a possible grave danger to global peace.
In a statement Friday, Jo Chol Su, a senior North Korean Foreign Ministry official, said the North would make all available efforts to protect its national interests in the face of threats by hostile forces.
The national security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan are to hold their first trilateral meeting in six months in Seoul on Saturday.
Ahead of the three-way meeting, South Korean national security adviser Cho Tae-yong and his Japanese counterpart, Takeo Akiba, met bilaterally on Friday and reaffirmed a need to strengthen their cooperation with the U.S. to cope with with provocations by North Korea. Cho and U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan also met and affirmed that Seoul and Washington remain open to diplomacy with North Korea, according to South Korea’s presidential office.
Earlier Friday, South Korea’s Unification Ministry accused North Korea of property rights infringements by unilaterally using South Korean-owned equipment at a now-shuttered joint factory park in the North. The ministry also accused North Korea of dismantling the remains of a South Korean-built liaison office at the park that the North blew up during a previous period of tensions in 2020.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Vanessa Marcil Pays Tribute to Ex-Fiancé Tyler Christopher After General Hospital Star’s Death
- Guatemala electoral authorities suspend President-elect Bernardo Arévalo’s party
- Washington State 4-year-old boy attacked, killed by family dog on Halloween, police say
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Panama’s congress backtracks to preserve controversial Canadian mining contract
- He lured them into his room promising candy, police say. Now he faces 161 molestation charges
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- The FBI is investigating a Texas sheriff’s office, a woman interviewed by agents says
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Jennifer Lopez Reveals How Ben Affleck Has Influenced Her Relaxed Personal Chapter
- Idaho woman, son charged with kidnapping after police say they took teenager to Oregon for abortion
- Man who admitted setting fire to several Indiana barns pleads guilty to 3 more arsons
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Who is the strongest Avenger? Tackling this decades old fan debate.
- Succession’s Alan Ruck Involved in 4-Vehicle Car Crash at Hollywood Pizzeria
- Texas Rangers beat Arizona Diamondbacks to claim their first World Series
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Eviction filings in Arizona’s fast-growing Maricopa County surge amid a housing supply crisis
The FBI is investigating a Texas sheriff’s office, a woman interviewed by agents says
Poll shows most US adults think AI will add to election misinformation in 2024
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Federal agents search home of fundraiser for New York City Mayor Eric Adams
Sale of federal oil and gas leases in Gulf of Mexico off again pending hearings on whale protections
AP Week in Pictures: Global | Oct. 27 - Nov. 2, 2023