Current:Home > ScamsCar dealerships in North America revert to pens and paper after cyberattacks on software provider -FundTrack
Car dealerships in North America revert to pens and paper after cyberattacks on software provider
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:23:18
NEW YORK (AP) — Car dealerships in North America continue to wrestle with major disruptions that started last week with cyberattacks on a software company used widely in the auto retail sales sector.
CDK Global, a company that provides software for thousands of auto dealers in the U.S. and Canada, was hit by back-to-back cyberattacks Wednesday. That led to an outage that has continued to impact operations.
For prospective car buyers, that may mean delays at dealerships or vehicle orders written up by hand, with no immediate end in sight.
On Monday, Group 1 Automotive Inc., a $4 billion automotive retailers, said that it continued to use “alternative processes” to sell cars to its customers.
Here is what you need to know.
What is CDK Global?
CDK Global is a major player in the auto sales industry. The company, based just outside of Chicago in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, provides software technology to dealers that helps with day-today operations — like facilitating vehicle sales, financing, insurance and repairs.
CDK serves more than 15,000 retail locations across North America, according to the company. Whether all of these locations were impacted by this week’s cyberattacks remains unclear.
What happened last week?
CDK is investigating a Wednesday “cyber incident” and the company shut down all of its systems out of an abundance of caution, according to spokesperson Lisa Finney.
“We have begun the restoration process,” Finney said over the weekend in a prepared statement. “Based on the information we have at this time, we anticipate that the process will take several days to complete, and in the interim we are continuing to actively engage with our customers and provide them with alternate ways to conduct business.”
The company has warned customers about “bad actors” posing as members or affiliates of CDK to try to obtain system access by contacting customers. It urged them to be cautious of any attempted phishing.
Are impacted dealerships still selling cars?
Several major auto companies — including Stellantis, Ford and BMW — confirmed to The Associated Press that the CDK outage had impacted some of their dealers, but that sales operations continue.
In light of the ongoing situation, a spokesperson for Stellantis said that many dealerships had switched to manual processes to serve customers. That includes writing up orders by hand.
A Ford spokesperson said that the outage may cause “some delays and inconveniences at some dealers and for some customers.” However, many Ford and Lincoln customers are still getting sales and service support through alternative routes being used at dealerships.
Group 1 Automotive Inc., which owns 202 automotive dealerships, 264 franchises, and 42 collision centers in the U.S. and the United Kingdom, said Monday that the incident has disrupted its business applications and processes in its U.S. operations that rely on CDK’s dealers’ systems. The company said that it took measures to protect and isolate its systems from CDK’s platform.
All Group 1 U.S. dealerships will continue to conduct business using alternative processes until CDK’s dealers’ systems are available, the company said Monday. Group 1’s dealerships in the U.K. don’t use CDK’s dealers’ systems and are not impacted by the incident.
With many details of the cyberattacks still unclear, customer privacy is also at top of mind — especially with little known about what information may have been compromised this week.
In a statement sent to the AP on Friday, Mike Stanton, president and CEO of the National Automobile Dealers Association said that “dealers are very committed to protecting their customer information and are actively seeking information from CDK to determine the nature and scope of the cyber incident so they can respond appropriately.”
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- King Charles III to return to public duties amid ongoing cancer treatment
- Why Taylor Swift's Lilac Short Skirt Is Going Viral After Tortured Poets Department Reference
- Planning on retiring at 65? Most Americans retire far earlier — and not by choice.
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Grab Some Razzles and See Where the Cast of 13 Going on 30 Is Now
- Oregon’s Sports Bra, a pub for women’s sports fans, plans national expansion as interest booms
- The Best Early Way Day 2024 Deals You Can Shop Right Now
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Hamas says it's reviewing an Israel cease-fire proposal as pressure for peace mounts
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- NFL draft's best host yet? Detroit raised the bar in 2024
- To spur a rural rebound, one Minnesota county is paying college athletes to promote it
- Chargers draft one of Jim Harbaugh's Michigan stars, LB Junior Colson, in third round
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Poppy Harlow leaves CNN after nearly two decades: 'I will be rooting for CNN always'
- Seeking engagement and purpose, corporate employees turn to workplace volunteering
- Mass arrests, officers in riot gear: Pro-Palestinian protesters face police crackdowns
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
New EPA Rule Could Accelerate Cleanup of Coal Ash Dumps
NFL draft picks 2024: Tracker, analysis for every pick from second and third rounds
After Biden signs TikTok ban into law, ByteDance says it won't sell the social media service
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Campus anti-war protesters dig in from New York to California as universities and police take action
Kitten season is here and it's putting a strain on shelters: How you can help
No HBCU players picked in 2024 NFL draft, marking second shutout in four years