Current:Home > reviewsAlec Baldwin's Criminal Charges Dropped in Rust Shooting Case -FundTrack
Alec Baldwin's Criminal Charges Dropped in Rust Shooting Case
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:20:23
Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter charge in the fatal shooting of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has been dropped.
The District Attorney of Santa Fe County in New Mexico will not be moving forward with plans to prosecute Baldwin, according to the actor's attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro.
"We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin," they said in a joint statement to NBC News, "and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident."
Baldwin also spoke out when he shared a photo of himself and wife Hilaria Baldwin on Instagram. "I owe everything I have to this woman," he wrote in the April 20 post, before seemingly also thanking Nikas. "(and to you, Luke)."
News of the dismissal comes almost two months after Baldwin and Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed each pleaded not guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter in connection to Hutchins' death.
Hutchins was fatally wounded on the set of Rust in October 2021, when a lead projectile was discharged from prop gun that Baldwin was holding. The film's director Joel Souza was also hurt in the incident, though he has since recovered from his injuries.
Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged in January. The following month, Baldwin's legal team accused prosecutors of committing "a basic legal error" by charging the 65-year-old under a version of a firearm-enhancement statute that did not exist at the time of the shooting.
"It thus appears that the government intended to charge the current version of the firearm enhancement statute, which was not enacted until May 18, 2022, seven months after the accident," Baldwin's counsel argued in court documents obtained by E! News, adding that it would be "flagrantly unconstitutional" if his charges were to remain as-is.
The five-year gun enhancement attached to the 30 Rock alum's charge was dropped in late February, significantly reducing his possible prison sentence if he were to be convicted.
Throughout the legal proceeding, Baldwin has denied any wrongdoing in Hutchins' death. "The trigger wasn't pulled," he said in a 2021 interview with ABC News. "I didn't pull the trigger."
Baldwin is scheduled to return to the Rust set as both an actor and producer when filming—which was halted in the wake of the shooting—resumes this spring. Hutchins' widower, Matthew Hutchins, has joined the project as an executive producer, while Bianca Cline will serve as the Western's new cinematographer, according to a press release previously obtained by E! News.
"Though bittersweet, I am grateful that a brilliant and dedicated new production team joining former cast and crew are committed to completing what Halyna and I started," director Souza said in a Feb. 14 statement. "My every effort on this film will be devoted to honoring Halyna's legacy and making her proud. It is a privilege to see this through on her behalf."
E! News has reached out to Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed's legal teams, as well as the District Attorney of Santa Fe County, for comment but hasn't heard back.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (59952)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Remains of nearly 30 Civil War veterans found in a funeral home’s storage are laid to rest
- Saquon Barkley reverse hurdle: Eagles' RB wows coach, fans with highlight reel play
- Here's why it's so important to catch and treat glaucoma early
- 'Most Whopper
- Quincy Jones, music titan who worked with everyone from Frank Sinatra to Michael Jackson, dies at 91
- Kenyan man is convicted of plotting a 9/11-style attack on the US
- Kenyan man is convicted of plotting a 9/11-style attack on the US
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Willie Nelson speaks out on bandmate Kris Kristofferson's death: 'I hated to lose him'
Ranking
- Small twin
- Willie Nelson speaks out on bandmate Kris Kristofferson's death: 'I hated to lose him'
- Kim Kardashian wears Princess Diana pendant to LACMA Art+Film Gala
- NYC trio charged with hate crimes linked to pro-Palestinian vandalism of museum officials’ homes
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Photos of Baby Rocky's First Birthday Party Celebrations
- State oil regulator requests $100 million to tackle West Texas well blowouts
- 2 Ohio officers charged with reckless homicide in April death of Frank Tyson
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Mexico’s National Guard kills 2 Colombians and wounds 4 on a migrant smuggling route near the US
Taylor Swift Takes Getaway Car to Travis Kelce's Chiefs Game One Day After Eras Tour Milestone
Tornado threats remain in Oklahoma after 11 injured, homes damaged in weekend storms
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
NFL flexes Colts vs. Jets out of Week 11 'SNF' schedule, moving Bengals vs. Chargers in
DWTS' Gleb Savchenko Admits to Ending Brooks Nader Romance Over Text
Abortion rights at forefront of Women’s March rallies in runup to Election Day