Current:Home > MarketsWhat’s next for Alec Baldwin after involuntary manslaughter case dismissal -FundTrack
What’s next for Alec Baldwin after involuntary manslaughter case dismissal
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 00:37:28
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A New Mexico judge dismissed the involuntary manslaughter case against Alec Baldwin over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in a sudden move Friday.
Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer dismissed the case based on the misconduct of police and prosecutors over the withholding of evidence from the defense. She said the case cannot be filed again.
Baldwin, the lead actor and co-producer of the film “Rust,” was pointing a gun at Hutchins during a rehearsal on the set outside Santa Fe in October 2021 when the gun went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza. Baldwin has said he pulled back the hammer — but not the trigger — and the gun fired.
He and other producers still face civil lawsuits from Hutchins’ parents and sister, which white collar defense attorney Mark Sedlander told The Associated Press are more common for workplace accidents like the fatal shooting.
“By civil law standards, it is common for someone like Mr. Baldwin to be held responsible for what happened, but it is relatively unusual in the criminal context,” Sedlander said in an interview before the case was dismissed.
Whether “Rust” will be released is still unclear. The plot follows Baldwin as a western outlaw who works to break his grandson out of prison after he is convicted of an accidental murder. Filming wrapped in 2023, and producers have said finishing the film was meant to honor Hutchins’ artistic vision and generate money for her young son.
The career of the “30 Rock” star and frequent “Saturday Night Live” host — who has been a household name for more than three decades — had been put into doubt, and he could have gotten 18 months in prison if convicted.
In June, amid the looming trial, Baldwin and his wife, Hilaria, announced they would appear in a reality series about their large family. He shares seven young kids with Hilaria and one adult daughter, Ireland Baldwin, with his ex-wife, Kim Basinger.
The TLC series, tentatively titled “The Baldwins,” is set to release in 2025.
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Can't afford a home? Why becoming a landlord might be the best way to 'house hack.'
- Catholic bishops urged to boldly share church teachings — even unpopular ones
- Chipotle unveils cilantro-scented soap, 'water' cup candles in humorous holiday gift line
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Noem’s Cabinet appointment will make a plain-spoken rancher South Dakota’s new governor
- Best fits for Corbin Burnes: 6 teams that could match up with Cy Young winner
- Rep. Michael McCaul of Texas says he was detained in airport over being ‘disoriented’
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Louisiana mom arrested for making false kidnapping report after 'disagreement' with son
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- NYC bans unusual practice of forcing tenants to pay real estate brokers hired by landlords
- Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
- Volunteer firefighter accused of setting brush fire on Long Island
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- The Latin Grammys are almost here for a 25th anniversary celebration
- Elton John Details Strict Diet in His 70s
- Does the NFL have a special teams bias when hiring head coaches? History indicates it does
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
John Krasinski Details Moment He Knew Wife Emily Blunt Was “the One”
Justine Bateman feels like she can breathe again in 'new era' after Trump win
US Diplomats Notch a Win on Climate Super Pollutants With Help From the Private Sector
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Special counsel Smith asks court to pause appeal seeking to revive Trump’s classified documents case
Daniele Rustioni to become Metropolitan Opera’s principal guest conductor
US Congress hopes to 'pull back the curtain' on UFOs in latest hearing: How to watch